TOWN AND PARISH CELEBRATING 900 YEARS
OF ROMSEY’S NORMAN ABBEY CHURCH
This list of events is a summary of what is planned. For any questions or more information,
Organiser, Liz Hallett email email@example.com or
Churchwarden, Chris Pritchard, 07914 545 763, or email:
January – Your Romsey – Your Abbey – Your History
- Launch event at the 10:00 am Epiphany Service on Sunday the 5th January
- Celebration Banners through the Nave.
- Timeline on display in the north aisle.
- Wood-block model of the Abbey for children.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel of archive pictures of the Abbey.
February – Your Crafts
- Saturday 22nd, craftspeople demonstrating their work.
- Display in St Lawrence Chapel of some of the crafts needed to build the
Abbey from 22nd to 27th.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel of pictures of medieval builders
and examples of these crafts.
March – Your Abbesses
- An exhibition of 35 Abbesses decorated by local schools.
- Display of stories about some the Abbesses.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel of life in the nunnery.
April – Your Family Celebrations
- Monday 20th – Sunday 26th April, an exhibition of weddings and baptisms and
other family celebrations which have taken place in the Abbey.
- Display and sale of waistcoats made by Dorothy Stokes.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel on the theme of Family
May – Your Notable People
- Sunday 17th May dedication of a new stained glass window celebrating the
life of Florence Nightingale.
- A display of information about famous and significant people from the
Parish of Romsey; some displayed beside their tomb, memorial, or monuments.
- Trail leaflets to guide you round to find these notable people.
- 2nd May – Peal Attempt by the bell-ringers to celebrate the 900th
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel on Notable People from Romsey.
June – Your Music
A month of music, including:
- Two Music in Romsey Concerts
- The Schools Music festival at the end of the month.
- Sunday 21st an American style picnic on the North Churchyard.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel of past music concerts in the
Abbey, Youth Orchestra and School Concerts.
July – Your Bells
- Saturday 4th, Bell Tower open day. 6 tours arranged at 10:30, 11:15, 12:00,
13:30, 14:15 and 15:00. Maximum tour size 15 people. Tickets available from February 2020,
through TicketSource or Romsey Visitor Information Centre, Price Adults £4, Children (6-15) £2.
Meet in St George’s Chapel.
- A display in St George’s chapel with information about the ringing of
bells. (Moving to St Lawrence Chapel from 21st to 26th July.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel of archive photographs of ringers
and the bells.
August – Your Volunteers
- The weekend of 22nd – 23rd August, an exhibition of voluntary groups all
based in Romsey.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel of photographs supplied by
volunteers and their work.
September – Your Schools
- 18th to 25th September an exhibition to celebrate the history and
achievements of our local schools.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel of photographs supplied by the
October – Your Saints
- 16th to 26th October, displays in St Lawrence Chapel of the stories about
the many saints to be found in the Abbey.
- Ethelflaeda Festival 16th – 20th October.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel of photographs of our saints as
depicted around the Abbey.
- We hope to have a Son et lumière on the north churchyard on Saturday 3rd
November – Your Future
- An exhibition of plans for the future developments at Romsey Abbey. Come
and see our vision for the future.