TOWN AND PARISH CELEBRATING 900 YEARS
OF ROMSEY’S NORMAN ABBEY CHURCH
COVID-19 – Due to the pandemic the planned events from April onwards have been cancelled.
CLICK HERE for a list of Abbesses of the Abbey and find further infromation about the Abbesses featured in our Live Streamed Services.
We are grateful for all the preparations from the Abbey 900 commitee and for the generosity and support from the people of Romsey and beyond. A revised programme will be announced next year when we can celebrate as a community again.
Organiser, Liz Hallett email firstname.lastname@example.org or
Churchwarden, Chris Pritchard, 07914 545 763, or email:
January 2020 – Your Romsey – Your Abbey – Your History
- Launch event at the 10:00 am Epiphany Service on Sunday the 5th January
- Celebration Banners through the Nave.
- Timeline on display in the north aisle.
- Wood-block model of the Abbey for children.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel of archive pictures of the Abbey.
February 2020 – Your Crafts
- Saturday 22nd, craftspeople demonstrating their work.
- Display in St Lawrence Chapel of some of the crafts needed to build the
Abbey from 22nd to 27th.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel of pictures of medieval builders
and examples of these crafts.
- Make your own Medieval Tile Workshops on Saturday 22nd February.
- A new leaflet ‘The Building of Romsey Abbey’ is available.
March 2020 – Your Abbesses
- Lunchtime Recital – Tuesday 3rd March 2020, 1 pm – Ian Close – Soprano Saxophone and Dominic Beeton – Organ and Keyboards
As part of the Abbey’s 900th Anniversary Celebrations, two local musicians, reinterpret for the 21st century the music of the German Abbess St Hildegard of Bingen, who was a near contemporary of St Ethelflaeda, Abbess of Romsey.
- An exhibition of 35 Abbesses decorated by local schools, available to view in the Abbey, from Saturday 7th March 2020.
- Display of stories about some the Abbesses.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel of life in the nunnery.
April – Your Family Celebrations
- Monday 20th – Sunday 26th April, an exhibition of weddings and baptisms and
other family celebrations which have taken place in the Abbey.
- Display and sale of waistcoats made by Dorothy Stokes.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel on the theme of Family
May – Your Notable People
- Sunday 17th May dedication of a new stained glass window celebrating the
life of Florence Nightingale.
- A display of information about famous and significant people from the
Parish of Romsey; some displayed beside their tomb, memorial, or monuments.
- Trail leaflets to guide you round to find these notable people.
- 2nd May – Peal Attempt by the bell-ringers to celebrate the 900th
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel on Notable People from Romsey.
June – Your Music
A month of music, including:
- Two Music in Romsey Concerts
- The Schools Music festival at the end of the month.
- Sunday 21st an American style picnic on the North Churchyard.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel of past music concerts in the
Abbey, Youth Orchestra and School Concerts.
July – Your Bells
- Saturday 4th, Bell Tower open day. 6 tours arranged at 10:30, 11:15, 12:00,
13:30, 14:15 and 15:00. Maximum tour size 15 people. Tickets available from February 2020,
through TicketSource or Romsey Visitor Information Centre, Price Adults £4, Children (6-15) £2.
Meet in St George’s Chapel.
- A display in St George’s chapel with information about the ringing of
bells. (Moving to St Lawrence Chapel from 21st to 26th July.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel of archive photographs of ringers
and the bells.
August – Your Volunteers
- The weekend of 22nd – 23rd August, an exhibition of voluntary groups all
based in Romsey.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel of photographs supplied by
volunteers and their work.
September – Your Schools
- 18th to 25th September an exhibition to celebrate the history and
achievements of our local schools.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel of photographs supplied by the
October – Your Saints
- 16th to 26th October, displays in St Lawrence Chapel of the stories about
the many saints to be found in the Abbey.
- Ethelflaeda Festival 16th – 20th October.
- Rolling slide show in St Lawrence chapel of photographs of our saints as
depicted around the Abbey.
- We hope to have a Son et lumière on the north churchyard on Saturday 3rd
November – Your Future
- An exhibition of plans for the future developments at Romsey Abbey. Come
and see our vision for the future.