We are very fortunate to be accompanied in our worship by a remarkable instrument built by J.W. Walker and Sons in 1858. Our relationship with Walkers, founded in London but now located in Suffolk, continues to the present day because their tuners still pay regular visits to Romsey to maintain the organ.
Major restoration work was carried out in 1995-96, restoring the old mechanical actions and overhauling much of the pipework to its former glory.
1998 saw the construction by Walkers of a completely new organ in addition to the 1858 original. Its pipework is located, somewhat unusually, on the South Triforium, a gallery that runs the length of the Nave from the West End to the Crossing. This can be played either from a mobile console in the Nave or from the main console in the Choir.
The Nave organ is particularly useful, firstly, in providing the congregation with the hymn tune without the slight delay that arises from the distant location of the main organ and, secondly, as a concert instrument in its own right.
Full details of the organ’s history and specification are held by the National Pipe Organ Register.