No matter how little time you can spare, there is a role for you and your gifts today in our community.
There is a whole range of groups and activities with which you can get involved in the Abbey, from bell-ringing, to taking part in house groups, from flower arranging to helping with the Parish magazine.
If you would like to put yourself forward, please contact us or speak to a member of the clergy or anybody wearing a name badge at a service you attend; they will be pleased to point you in the right direction.
- Abbey Guides – lead tours of the building for 3pm Wednesday weekly tours (April to October) and group tours
- Abbey Stewards – on hand to welcome visitors in person
- Book and Gift Stall – selling books and souvenirs to visitors
Spiritual and social groups
- Womens’ group – meets fortnightly for talks and other events
- Sewing and knitting group – making garments for various charities
- Social Committee – plans and organises a varied programme of events for all ages
- Sunday Schools – activities for young people whilst the 10am Sung Eucharist is in progress
- Baby and Toddler Group – meets every Wednesday morning during term-time
Local branches of national charities and organisations:
- Christian Aid
- Children’s Society
- Mother’s Union
- Parish Lunch – held in the Church Rooms on the second Thursday of each month (booking required)
- Parish Tea – held in the Church Rooms on the last Sunday of each month from 4pm
- Catering Team – helping to prepare and/or serve food and drink for Abbey events and services
Looking after the Abbey
- Flower arranging
- Saintly sweepers – keeping the Abbey spick and span
- St. Swithun’s committee – helping to manage the Abbey’s daughter church
- Servers – taking part in processions and other ceremonial duties during services